Sunday, October 19, 2008

Correct Language Models

Research by Jeff Anderson and others has shown that kids need models of correct grammar if we expect them to learn to use it correctly. That's why it is so important for parents, and other people that our kids are around often, to use correct grammar. Remember: kids imitate what they hear.

And this is a wake-up call to TV newscasters too. We expect them to know how to use English correctly because this is their life, right? I cannot tell you how often I hear even the nationally known news anchors make mistakes, especially with the verbs lie and lay. One would think that they would care enough to know how to use these correctly. They are models for us as well as for our children, and they aren't stepping up to the plate.

What about school? Unfortunately, most teachers don't use English correctly either--even some English teachers are guilty. I know--I used to work with them.

But what about me? Did I grow up hearing correct language usage all the time? No, I didn't. Do I resent my family? Of course not! But I loved making A's, and I had wonderful English teachers who, back in the "dark ages," always used correct grammar in the classroom and made sure that we did also. We diagrammed sentences with verbal phrases, dependent clauses; we understood infinitives, gerunds, participles; we did what students don't do now so that we would know when to use the objective or nominative case of a pronoun--I could go on forever! That doesn't happen now, and our children are paying the price.

So how will they learn? The best way is from us--parents. My husband never cared about learning grammar when he was in school, but his mother was a terrific model for him. Even now he uses correct language, not because he has a clue as to the technical reasons but because he heard his mom and learned it from her. The same is true with my sons. Neither remembers all the grammar rules, but both know how to use them because they were modeled in our home.

For example, my older son Jason often says "revert back" and smiles. He understands the redundancy but loves to tease me with that expression used by so many who are unaware of their error. Once when he was asking the blessing at the dinner table, my younger son "Bubba" (William) said, "Thank you, God, for letting Jason and I--excuse me, Mom--Jason and me have such a good time fishing today."

Does that happen in your home? It can!

Now, moms and dads, what shall we do? Let's start brushing up on that grammar that isn't taught in schools these days and start modeling our very best language usage for our children.

We're going to visit the verbs lie and lay again soon and give you some sentences in which you'll be asked to use the correct verb. Who knows? It could be fun!

No comments: